Source: Duxbury & Associates
Mold spores are floating in the air around us all the time, just looking for some damp organic material to grow on. Excessive mold in your home can affect the quality of the air you breathe and your overall health.
Past clients who were affected by mold often reported feeling very unwell but their doctors were not always able to find any underlying illness. They’ve experienced repeated: headaches, breathing difficulties, respiratory infections, excessive coughing, dizziness, confusion and tiredness.
As seasoned Home and Property Inspectors, we’ve found that mold can be quite tricky to detect without the proper equipment. Certain forms of mold are odourless and can grow unseen for years. Home owners and renters are often completely unaware until they get sick.
At Duxbury & Associates we take indoor air quality very seriously. At this time of year, we are inside more than not and without good air-exchange, our indoor can get stale quickly and affect us.
We encourage home owners to get their air-quality checked to ensure their well-being and that their family’s health is protected. We also work closely with an experienced mold technician who offers scientific lab-testing with collecting air samples which are then sealed, recorded for quality-control and couriered to a lab for testing. A comprehensive report which determines the potential mold toxicity and recommends actions to improve air quality is then provided. The moisture-source, however, still has to be detected and corrected.
Numerous times in the past, our Clients have turned to us and /or referred us in such an instance and we have mobilized to get that concern figured out.
QUESTION? If we have mold… can’t we just kill it with bleach?
ANSWER: NO, killing mold this way is not recommended by leading industry experts.
Bleach can actually be more harmful than the mold you are fighting! Even if you can ‘kill’ mold, “hibernating” spores can become just as toxic as when it was living and can be easily re-activated with sufficient moisture in your home – even if just air borne moisture. Mold does not behave the same way as bacteria and killing it should not be mistaken as a complete clean-up or removal.
QUESTION? If we have mold on drywall, why don’t we just tear it out? Do we really need a professional inspection and renovation?
ANSWER: YES, mold growing on drywall is often an indicator of a more serious mold issue. Disturbed mold spreads easily – so if the wall is opened without protecting the rest of the area from traveling mold spores, you may be making the problem worse and more expensive to fix.
If you are not confident your indoor air-quality is as good as it needs to be for your family’s health, now is the time to act.